Posted by Kristine Salzmann on May 29, 2020 2:11 pm
Fields in Vancouver and Surrey open again on July 1st!
We've been working hard on "Return to Play" plans that align with provincial guidelines, and are excited that organized sports can resume soon. We can't play regular games yet, but we can still do a lot.
Review the options below and pick what works for you! If you're a youth player or parent, see our list of Summer Youth Options.
Summer Ultimate - Phase 2
We're offering 3 activities now, and will look to offer more when Phrase 3 opens.
Weekly Beginner & Intermediate Skills Camps
- 6 weeks long - learn skills that build on each other
- Organized by the legendary Mauro Ortiz from Furious George
Read more about both Camps. Registration opens on Wed June 3 - space will be limited.
Team Practices for League & Touring Teams
- Sign up for a 4-week cycle of weekly team practices
- Get your own dedicated field
- Connect with your team, have fun, and get back into ulti shape!
Read more about Team Practices. Registration opens on Wed June 3.
Skills Clinics - all levels
- Our bread and butter of preseason training, all of our 2-hour clinics are designed by the equally legendary Jen Nicholls
- Clinics are free to attend, but we suggest a donation of $10 per clinic to help pay for high-level instructors
- Clinics will take place in Vancouver and Surrey starting in July.
- Each clinic will be posted on the Calendar.
Share your knowledge as an Instructor
We have a number of open positions for instructors this summer - especially for youth ultimate. Not playing as much? Apply your skills as a coach! .
We will also offer:
- Online clinics
- For those who continue to isolate, or can't make it out to a field, watch an online clinic to learn tips and tricks from the best!
- Small group Social Meetups (e.g. disc golf)
Everyone's Safety is Important
We will have safety measures in place for our Clinics and Camps during Phase 2. The idea is for the field to be a safe "bubble" as much as possible. These include:
- VUL-provided discs and cones only
- Discs will be sanitized before and after sessions
- Hand sanitizer at the field
- Physical distance will be maintained for all drills and activities. e.g. no close marking during Phase 2
- Sharing of equipment & discs will be minimal
- For example, players will throw in smaller groups for the first few weeks
- Number of participants will be limited based on government guidelines - so sign up soon!
- A few health questions will be asked before the start of programs
- Attendance will be recorded so we can contact participants if someone falls ill.
For Team Practices, we will review these procedures with captains at a brief online Captains Meeting.
Staying in Touch
We want to give a huge THANK YOU to our volunteer board of directors and those who provided input during our Captains Working Group sessions in May.
If you have any questions, please contact our League Manager, Katie, via LM@vul.ca