Posted by Craig on January 13, 2017 4:45 pm
E.R.I.C. (Early Recognition Is Critical) is offering middle school (grade 6-‐8) Ultimate Frisbee clinics!
E.R.I.C. is a non-‐profit that teaches cancer symptom awareness through Ultimate Frisbee clinics in school PE classes.
There is no cost. They provide the discs, cones, coaches and bibs.
E.R.I.C. clinics and information can be found in this video:
Here's the run down of the clinics:
- E.R.I.C. coaches (professional players and local coaches) run the PE classes. The teachers only have to supervise.
- The players are first educated on cancer symptom awareness (why it is important to know your body and speak up if something unusual is noticed) and the importance of living a healthy lifestyle. This is interactive and takes about the first 10 minutes of the class.
- Following that, the coaches demonstrate the basics of throwing and catching for another 5-‐10 minutes.
- Finally, the students are split up into groups with the pro coach(s) while they practice the basics, run some drills and finally scrimmage (if time allows).
- At the end of the PE class, students huddle for a Spirit Circle and an award is given to the spirit winner. Spirit of the Game is an essential part of Ultimate.
E.R.I.C. will only be able to offer 5 clinics (one per day) during the week of February 27th, filled on a first-come basis.
If you are interested, please fill out a survey.
Please contact William Arlotta if you have any further questions, or require any additional support for your youth ultimate program.