Posted by Executive Director on April 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Where we’re at - A letter from the E.D.
April 12, 2020
Greetings from the VUL. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy during these difficult times, and you’re not going too stir-crazy at home. I’d like to take a moment to thank all of the health-care workers and others in front-line service jobs who are working so hard to keep all of us healthy and safe!
I’m writing to update you about the VUL’s financial situation. Our Summer season is by far our largest season - representing about 75% of our annual revenue - so the coronavirus shutdowns have created very difficult financial challenges for us. The VUL Board and Staff have been working hard on a path forward over the past few weeks. Our priority is to ensure that the VUL remains healthy by maintaining strong relationships with our members, supporting all of our personnel, being ready when ultimate is allowed to resume, and making prudent financial choices.
For our members
- We will continue to update you through our COVID article and periodic newsletters, and attempt to keep you entertained through our social media on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. :) See below for Winter and Summer updates.
For staff and expenses
- Various federal programs will enable us to retain staff in the short-term. Future plans depend on when we can play again. With their agreement we have reduced hours & pay of all staff for the immediate future to help us manage costs. I thank all VUL personnel for their dedication to ultimate in Vancouver!
- We are reducing other expenses wherever possible.
For alternative funding
- We will apply for all applicable government support programs when applications open.
- We plan to ask for donations in the near future. If you would like to help us generate support for the VUL this year, please email me at ED@vul.ca.
- We have a Capital Projects Fund, but we cannot use those funds without membership approval at a General Meeting, and we cannot use them for general expenses without a change to our bylaws. We are looking into hosting an online Special General Meeting to bring some proposals forward to our members.
We are emailing Winter participants this week about refunds for the shortened season. We have been trying to balance our financial situation with our desire to provide compensation to everyone, especially those who need it. Unfortunately, we cannot provide refunds to all Winter participants right now. We are offering three options:
- A credit to be used in a future VUL program (the default option).
- A refund to those who really need one.
- A donation back to the VUL to help us keep the lights on, and enable more timely refunds to those who need them.
Winter participants will get an email with more details in the next few days.
We are pleased that BC is having some success with flattening the curve! Ultimate players are a social bunch by nature, so thank you for doing your part with physical distancing. It’s not easy!
We don’t know what the future holds, but we do hope to play ultimate at some point this summer. Registration is open for some youth programs, and remains open for league teams who want to claim their spot with a deposit. We will continue to update you as we learn more.
Until next time,