Posted by Marketing Manager on April 4, 2017 11:11 am
Why Play Ultimate?
Wondering why you should play ultimate? Because it's fun, great exercise and an excellent way to meet new people. For even more reasons, see our why to play page.
How to Get Started
Summer is the best time to start. You’ll be joining more than 4500 Vancouverites in the largest ultimate league on the planet!
Since our league is so large, there’s room for everyone to: play at their skill level, have fun, and meet a ton of fun and interesting people along the way. If you are still wondering, what exactly IS ultimate? See our how to play page before reading onward.
So what’s the best way to start? There are several options depending on your level of experience.
For Inexperienced Players
Ultimate has some similarities with other sports, but many of the skills and strategies you’ll learn will be totally new concepts. As such we recommend that you do more than one of the following:
- Attend an Intro Session – This should be your top priority. These free 2 hour sessions cover basic throws and game tactics while introducing you to the culture of ultimate. You’ll sign up on our calendar once you’ve created an account.
- Go to a Beginner Clinic – We offer beginner clinics to develop specific skills such as throwing, defending and game fundamentals. Similar to Intro Sessions, these are 2 hour free clinics held in April and May. Sign up on the calendar once you have created an account.
- Register for Summer Beginner Camp – This program runs for 11 weeks from June-August and is designed for anyone with two years experience or less. Though not required, it’d be helpful to attend an Intro Session and/or beginner clinic beforehand. Read more on our Summer League Camp page.
- View our Players Guide – Check it out, bookmark it, and then keep coming back to it as you learn and develop your skills. There’s more than a dozen pages of excellent content designed for players in their first few years of playing. You’ll find it under the Learn menu titled Players Guide.
For Experienced Players
- Go to an intermediate or advanced clinic – These clinics cover specific skill sets such as throwing, offense and defense. Each session is 2 hours long and free of charge! Sign up on the calendar once you have created an account.
For All Players
- Find a Team – We do have an option to be placed on a team but it’s far from a guarantee so we highly recommend you find one yourself. Read our find a team page for step by step info.
- Check out Ultimate Day – In late April we host our biggest event of the year: Ultimate Day. The event consists of clinics for all levels, workshops, a tradeshow, a bbq, ultimate games, and captain’s meeting. You'll be able to sign up for individual sessions from the calendar once the full schedule is published.
- Attend Spirit Week - Every evening during the week before Summer League starts we host fun games of ultimate including prizes and give-aways. Join us for one, two, or all four! Please sign up on the calendar.
- Learn about Spirit in the VUL – Since there are no refs, it's vital that we're all on the same page about sportsmanship, or what we call 'Spirit of the Game'. Every player should read our spirit page before entering the league.
Take a look around our website, and if you have any questions, just contact us!