Posted by Kristine Salzmann on May 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Updated: June 24, 2020
All programs start in July!
Ultimate is an ideal sport for kids and teens because it's fun, active AND teachers the values of fair play, teamwork, and inclusivity.
We have adapted our summer youth programs to follow the recommendations set forth by local and provincial health authorities. We will not be able to play full games to start, but there is still lots we can do! Our focus will be on fun, skill-based drills and activities that will adhere to social distancing guidelines. This includes ultimate-related activities in small groups, and individual games similar to disc golf!
Take a look at what we have to offer for ages 8 to 18. Registration is open!
Options for 2020
U19 Skills Program
This program is ideal for the high-schooler who wants to keep learning and improving their disc skills over the summer. These weekly 2-hour sessions are for ages 13-18. This summer we have two options to choose from:
- Sunday AM: 11am to 1pm at Empire Field (turf) from July 5 to August 16 - now FULL!
- Sunday PM: 2-4pm at Winona Field (grass) from July 5 to August 16 - space is limited.
- Wednesday: 6:30-8:30pm at Rupert Field (grass) from July 8 to August 19 - almost full!
Learn more on our U19 Skills Program page.
U14 Girls Skills Program
Our U14 Girls Skills Program is back for its third year! We're proud of our weekly 2-hour "girls-only" program for 9-13 year olds that helps them build foundational skills for ultimate with the main goal of having fun. Program details:
- 10am to 12pm at Empire Field (turf) on Sundays from July 5 to August 16
Check out our U14 Girls Skills page for more information.
Six Weeks of Summer Camps
Try one of our week-long day camps!
- July 6-10: ages 8-11 (morning), ages 11-14 (afternoon)
- July 13-17: ages 8-11 (morning), ages 11-14 (afternoon)
- July 20-24: ages 8-11 (morning), ages 11-14 (afternoon)
- July 27-31: ages 8-11 (morning), ages 11-14 (afternoon)
- Aug. 3-7: ages 11-14 (full day)
- Aug. 10-14: ages 8-11 (morning), ages 11-14 (afternoon)
Each camp participant receives a VUL disc and reversible jersey! Visit our Youth Summer Day Camps page for more details.
Youth Club Programs
The competitive club teams (Misfit, Vortex, and Reign) are still working on plans for their summer. We'll update our website and share via social media as soon as we know more!
Our activities will be amended in accordance with evolving health guidelines. Some of the steps we are taking include:
- Training our instructors in the guidelines set forth by the provincial health authority and BC Ultimate
- Providing hand sanitizer on site for participants
- Instructors will sanitize discs before and after sessions
- Minimal sharing of equipment (using VUL-provided discs only). Participants are expected to bring their own water and snacks
- Limiting the number of participants to allow for physical distancing; participants and instructors will maintain a minimum 2 meter distance from each other
Please note some details are subject to change depending on new government guidelines. For additional information about the VUL's response to COVID-19, please see our article.
Our priorities include the health and safety of our participants, staff and communities in which we live. There are many benefits to being active and playing ultimate, we look forward to getting back on the field under the right conditions soon!