Posted by Troë on May 25, 2018 12:31 pm
The Vancouver Ultimate League is a proponent of gender equity in the sport. As you know, we updated our gender rule over a year ago in order to promote more women matching individuals to join ultimate and to have equal options on the playing field. We know that it will take some time for our sport to get to the point where there truly is equality on the field for all genders, but we want to help get it there. In order to promote gender equity, increase awareness, and encourage more involvement of women on the field, we're promoting our annual Women's Week!. We are asking teams to use this week to highlight the women matching players on your team and their amazing skills.
*In referring to women we include self-identified women, non-binary, and trans folks. For some programs we refer to this as women+ to more clearly articulate the inclusivity of the program.
What does this mean for you and your team?
1. Encourage your team to put women matching players into roles they usually aren't in. Examples include:
- pulling the disc
- receiving the pull or picking up the disc after turnovers
- initiating cutter or default endzone cutter
- calling a play or a force on the line
2 . Check out our #throwtome Campaign!
We have amazing women in our community and we want to tell you about them. We also want to help captains retain the women matching players on their team so that they not only keep coming back for more ultimate, but they also invite more of their friends to play and help increase the number of women on the field. Therefore, the VUL has launched a new campaign this year to do just that! Read all about the campaign and watch the video here. Share the video, share the real stories, and even tell us about your own!
3. Take a pic of one of your awesome women teammates at the field, and using words or emojis, tell us why they are amazing.
If you use the hashtag #UltiWomen and tag us on Twitter and Instagram, you'll enter your teammate into a draw for some wicked prizes...maybe you'll win something too :)
- For Instagram, use the hashtag #UltiWomen or #throwtome or #throwtowomen and tag @Vancouver_Ultimate
- For Twitter, use the hashtag #UltiWomen or #throwtome or #throwtowomen and tag @VUL