This is a general guide to help you start playing ultimate in the VUL.
Note: The following information relates mainly to Adults. If you are looking for youth programs, see our Youth Leagues & Camps.
1. Learn about Ultimate
For an overview of the sport, read About Ultimate.
To learn how to play:
- Attend a free 2-hour Intro Session or Skills Clinic to try the sport or work on a specific skill.
- Register for our 11 week League Camp for Beginners and learn by playing! (Offered June - August)
- Bookmark our Players Guide to reference for detailed tips and instruction.
You will also need to understand Spirit of the Game. "Spirit" is a unique and defining aspect of ultimate that allows the game to be played without referees, even at international competitions. Your teammates will help explain Spirit once you start playing.
2. Pick a League
For players with 0-2 years experience, we highly recommend to start with our 11 week League Camp for Beginners from June - August.
We hold leagues year-round at fields all over Vancouver.
- For Standard leagues, most players register as a team.
- For Hat leagues, everyone registers by themselves or with 1-2 friends, and we form all teams.
3. Find a Team
For Hat Leagues, you just register to play, and we do all the work to get teams set up!
For Standard Leagues, read how to find or form a team.
When you're ready to register, be sure to read and follow the Registration Guidelines.
There are other leagues in Metro Vancouver, too. See the BC Ultimate website for a list.
If you have experience, you can try to join a Touring (Club) team. They don't participate in league play, but attend tournaments such as Provincials and Nationals. Most of them hold tryouts in April and May. To learn more about Vancouver Touring teams, contact our Touring Coordinator via firstname.lastname@example.org.