Mentors play a key role in the VUL by ensuring new teams have a positive experience. Working from the sideline or playing on the field, mentors help players and teams with skills, strategy, rules, Spirit of the Game.
We will assign you to one team, and we request you work with them at least two evenings per month of the season. Ideally you'll be able to help them every week.
We typically offer an orientation workshop that will last 1-2 hours. The main session happens at Ultimate Day (in April), but we may schedule additional sessions for those who cannot attend that day.
Mentors must meet the following minimum requirements:
- 4 years experience playing ultimate, at least 2 of which were in the VUL
- ideally 1 or more years being a captain in the VUL
- experience coaching or mentoring in a sport environment would be an asset
- 19 years of age or older
As a mentor, you get to play for free. In addition, you will receive:
- a free VUL jersey
- a free ticket to the VUL Awards Banquet in October
- free entry to 1-day NCCP coaching course* OR our Coaching Conference
- points towards practice field allocations (touring team players only)
* The National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) is a coach training and certification program for sports across Canada. Ultimate Canada has developed ultimate-specific courses for coaches under this program, including one for recreational coaches (Community Sport - Initiation), and one for competitive coaches (Competition - Introduction). Both are offered a few times per year in BC. NOTE: The competition course is 2-days, so we will reimburse 50% of the cost. In addition, aspiring coaches can also take 'multi-sport' courses that are applicable to all sports. See the Coaches Association of BC for a schedule of those courses. To be eligible for this benefit, you must mentor a team at least 10 times in one year.
Email Mauro Ortiz, our Mentor Coordinator, via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to apply!