Table of Contents
Please review the League Regulations. The VULS relies on the cooperation of all captains and players to follow those regulations.
All participants must create an account and agree to the Player Consent Agreements before playing any game. Those Agreements includes a declaration that you are at least 19 years of age OR that you have provided Parental Consent if you are under 19.
For those under 19, parental consent can be provided in two ways:
- When youth create an account, they are asked for their parent's email address. We then send a request to the parent to provide Parental Consent online.
- If the parent can't provide consent online, they can submit a Parental Waiver & Consent form. Forms should be scanned & emailed to LM@vul.ca for adult leagues and firstname.lastname@example.org for youth leagues.
- Adult Leagues: All captains must be 19 years or older, and most players are 19 or older. Youth can participate in an adult league only if they turn 17 before December 31 AND they provide parental consent before the league starts (see Consent above).
- Youth Leagues: All players must be under 19. Youth can register a team themselves, but all teams must have one or more adult chaperones present at all games. All players must also provide parental consent before they participate (see Consent above).
We currently support Visa and Mastercard. American Express will be supported by May 2017.
- Team captains should select the Team option.
- Players who want to be be placed on a team should select the Placement option.
- If you already have a team, you do not need to register and pay the VUL. Your captain will send you an invite via email to join their team, and you will pay them a share of their team fees.
When a captain registers their team, they are asked for:
- Choice of timeslot (day & time of play)
- Preferred division (skill level)
- Contact and payment details (credit card only for most leagues; cash or cheque is an option for some youth leagues)
Most teams will play on their first choice of timeslot, but that is not guaranteed. We need an even number of teams in each timeslot, and sometimes they fill up. If we can't accommodate all teams in a timeslot, the lowest priority team will be offered their second choice, or dropped if there is no room. Priority is given to those who register first and meet all registration requirements, including full payment and rosters. Note that we usually allow returning teams (those that participated in this league last year) to register first before other teams.
Teams will be placed in divisions with similarly skilled teams (see League Structure or more info). Teams may not be placed in their 'preferred' division - if only 4 teams ask to play in division 1, then some teams that requested to play in division 2 will obviously be placed in division 1. And so on through all divisions. Rest assured you will be placed in a division with teams of similar skill level.
All teams must have sufficient players on their roster before their registration will be accepted. The minimum is 12 for most leagues, but we recommend at least 14-16 players. Teams which have less than the required amount at the close of registration will lose their registration priority. For help with rostering, see the Help section.
Individuals are encouraged to find a team to join.
If you cannot find a team, you can register by yourself or with 1-2 friends and we will attempt to place you on a team with other individuals. However, placement is not guaranteed. There may not be enough space on the night you request, or there may be an imbalance of genders. Your money will be refunded if you cannot be placed on a team. Note: we sometimes have a shortage of women, so you are more likely to be placed on a team if you register in a Duo or Trio with a female friend.
If you find a team to join after you register for Placement Registration, let us know ASAP. It will cause havoc if you cancel after you are placed. We can refund your individual fees if you let us know within 24 hours after registration closes. We cannot transfer your Placement fees to your new team.
For all Hat Leagues, players register by themselves or with 1-2 friends, and the VUL creates all of the teams (drawing names from a 'hat').
When you register, you will be asked for:
- first and second choice of timeslot
- requested category, if any (e.g. competitive or recreational)
- contact and payment details (credit card only for most leagues; cash or cheque is an option for some youth leagues)
Most players will play in their timeslot and category of choice. Priority is given to those who register first.
Note that if you register in person, your friends must also fill out a registration form, but only one person needs to drop off the forms with payment.