The Vancouver Ultimate League (VUL) is the largest ultimate league in the world. To run our operations, we have a large custom web-based League Management System. As the VUL continues to expand, we are looking for a full-stack Developer to help us maintain and grow this important web application to meet our current and future needs. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking for an ongoing part-time position with lots of variety.
Duties & Responsibilities
The VUL Software Developer (SD) role is a multi-faceted one which draws on skills in development and product management. The SD will report to the Executive Director (ED) and work collaboratively with other VUL personnel to define and implement roadmaps for our website and League Management System.
Development (primary duty)
- Full-stack responsibility: front-end & back-end development
- Design, build and test features within our large set of custom Drupal modules
- Maintain Drupal core and contributed modules, upgrading when necessary
- Utilize third‑party modules to extend functionality where feasible
- Leverage contractors for assistance (e.g. designers, other developers, testers)
- Manage and monitor hosting environments (test, live, etc.) to ensure stable operation
- Recommend new technologies or approaches to meet roadmap goals.
- Develop annual roadmaps and monthly release plans in partnership with the ED
- Gather and document requirements from VUL staff and members
- Create design specs if needed to ensure successful implementation of requirements, working with UX designers as appropriate
- Manage successful delivery of releases, leveraging the assistance of others if required
- Advise the Executive Director on long-term product needs & strategies
- Support VUL staff with use of the League Management System
- Support VUL staff to provide Tech Support to VUL members and other users
Education & Experience
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in similar role(s)
- A diploma or degree in Computer Science, Business, Communication, Engineering, or similar related experience
- Experience delivering online software from conception to live implementation
- Experience creating and maintaining custom Drupal modules
- Experience capturing requirements and creating specifications
- Skilled at balancing priorities and expectations of various stakeholders
- Driven to resolve problems and provide excellent customer service
- Able to generate quality solutions within defined time constraints
- Professional communication skills, especially via email
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Experience playing ultimate or other team sports
- Experience managing projects and coordinating the work of others
- Experience with e-commerce and community-based websites
- Experience with automated test frameworks
- Strong understanding of usability and user-centric design principles
- The SD will provide their own office and tools. All VUL staff generally work from home.
- Working hours are flexible, with the SD expected to be available for some calls and meetings during the day on weekdays.
Term & Compensation
- This is a part-time employment position with a workload of 40-60% FTE depending on the candidate’s skills and availability. The rate will be commensurate with education, experience, and skills.
- A comprehensive benefits package is included for those working over 50% FTE.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain posted until it is filled. Updated July 14, 2017.
About the VUL
The VUL is a non-profit society dedicated to organizing and promoting the sport of ultimate in greater Vancouver. Our primary focus is recreational play with many different leagues and events, but we also support elite teams who compete at provincial and national championships.
We have a passionate and engaged team of staff and volunteers that work hard to deliver quality programs and services to all of our members. We’re focused on excellence, integrity, community, and fun, and we provide all staff with opportunities to learn, grow and stretch to meet their professional goals.