Welcome to the VUL Captain's Guide!
This guide will help you start and manage a team in the VUL. It highlights some important guidelines and provides a number of tips to help you and your players have the most fun possible in the VUL.
First off: THANKS FOR BEING A CAPTAIN!!!
Captains play a key role in any ultimate league. Most sports have officials to help oversee games, but in ultimate, in addition to managing and coaching their own team, a captain also needs to work with the other team's captain to manage the game overall. This can be challenging at times, but it can also be very rewarding. There is opportunity to develop leadership skills and your players will appreciate your efforts – even if they don't tell you very often!
The VUL definitely appreciates the contributions provided by all captains – we could not run our leagues without you – so thank you for being a captain.
In the VUL, captains have these key roles:
1. Leader: You are responsible for your team. Your players will look to you for guidance in the VUL and during games, and the VUL will contact you to discuss anything related to your team.
2. Partner: You are a partner with other captains to ensure games run well. When you get to the field, introduce yourself to them, and work with them to ensure the games are safe and fun.
3. Liaison: With over 5000 members, the VUL can't communicate with all players directly. We rely on captains to act as a liaison by sharing important VUL news with their team, and by staying up to date so they can answer their players' questions themselves, if possible.
4. Ambassador: At your games you will often meet other field users and the public. As a VUL captain, you are an ambassador for our sport and our league. We also ask that you treat everyone with respect and patience, even if they are affecting your game, so we can continue to maintain a positive reputation for our sport and our community.
To cover these roles, remember that each team can have up to 3 Assistant Captains. We encourage you to enlist others on your team to help!
Team Captain's are the people that are ultimately responsible for the conduct and administration of their teams.
It is important for Captain's to set proper expectations for their team and ensure that all players on their team are aware of, and understand the VUL Code of Conduct, In addition, Captain's are responsible for ensuring that gameplay remains as safe as possible by removing players from their team from the field of play that are unable or unwilling to play the game in a safe manner.
Finally, Captain's are responsible for keeping all necessary team information up-to-date (rosters, game reports, contact information, etc) and ensuring that all relevant information communicated to the Captain by the league is passed on the rest of their players when necessary.
Read our tips on being a captain or a team leader:
- Captain's Success Checklist
- Schedules & Seeding
- Conflict Management
- Game Reports
- Prizes & Awards