You can’t play ultimate by yourself, so you’ll definitely need a team. The good news is there are always teams looking for players!
Brand new to ultimate? See our Getting Started Guide before looking for a team.
There are 3 ways to find a team:
1. Join an existing team
In order to find a team, we recommend you try the following:
- Friends: Email those you know who play ultimate. Ask them to ask their friends, too!
- Matchmaker: Add your name to Matchmaker and see what teams need players, too.
- Forum: Post in the Personals Forum. Let teams know what you offer and what you’re looking for.
- VUL Events: Meet other players at one of our events. Check the calendar for upcoming activities. Or, become a volunteer for the VUL. It's a great way to meet people!
Some things to think about for finding a good match:
- What days can you play? See the League descriptions for when games occur.
- Are you looking to practice and improve, or just come out to play?
- Would you rather be a handler, or a cutter?
- Are you particularly athletic, fast, silly, serious, fun or good-spirited? Are you a beer drinker or cookie baker?
2. Be placed on a team
- Hat Leagues: Register for one of our Hat leagues in the Fall or Winter. This usually guarantees you a spot on a team where you’ll meet other players who may have a Summer League team you could join or other players you can start a team with!
- Placement Registration: Register to be placed on a team of individuals for one of our Standard leagues in Summer, Fall or Winter. We’ll do our best to get you on a team, but we cannot guarantee a spot, so we recommend you try to join an existing team first (step 1).
3. Find Players and Start a team
Why not create your own? It can be a bit of work at the start, but very rewarding in the long run! To find players:
- Friends: Start by asking friends. Ask them to ask their friends. too!
- Matchmaker: Add your team info to Matchmaker, and check for players that need teams, too.
- Forum: Post in the Personals Forum that you are looking for players. Make sure to specify what you are looking for – skill level, competitiveness, etc.
- VUL events: Recruit people by attending VUL events. See the calendar for upcoming activities. Or, become a volunteer for the VUL. It's a great way to meet people!