The VUL welcomes players of all genders and sexual orientations!
LGBTQ2+ is an acronym that stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer & 2-Spirit. The + denotes that there are many other identities and communities within the LGBTQ2+ population that are not represented in these six words.
For more information on terms, see our glossary.
In 2017, we made changes to our policies to be more trans inclusive. See the full details on our trans inclusivity page.
Rain City Ultimate
Raincity Ultimate is a separate organization from the VUL that was created for LGBTQ2+ ultimate players and allies in Vancouver. Rain City runs practices, clinics and teams (that compete in VUL leagues and tournaments). Read more on the Rain City Facebook page.
LGTBQ Ulti Facebook group
There’s an active Facebook group for LGBTQ2+ ultimate players to connect and play tournaments together.
BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre located at Davie and Bute.
Media Resources in Ultimate
Lesbian, Gay, Bi & Queer
- The Family We Choose – Upwind Ultimate, by Bert Abbott (2017)
- Where Are All the Gay Guys? –Sky’d Magazine, by Will Neff (2016)
- We Are Here: A Response To “Where Are All The Gay Guys?” – Sky’d Magazine, by Charles Naurath (2016)
- Playing It Out – LGBT Issues in Sport – University of Connecticut, by Abigail Mace (2016)
- Elliot Trotter is Openly Gay Professional Frisbee Player – Out Sports, by Cyd Zeigler (2013)
- Gay-friendly Ultimate 'Frisbee' launches professional American Ultimate Disc League – Out Sports, by Cyd Zeigler (2012)
Transgender, Gender Diversity & Non-Binary
- Boycotting the Binary. Sky'd Magazine, by Corey Wakefield (2018)
- Spirit of the Boycott: Trans Marginalization in Ultimate. Sky'd Magazine, by Mina Carpenter & Betsy Merbitz (2018)
- Transgender Policy Updates and Non-Updates: USA Ultimate, Ultimate Canada, and More – Sky’d Magazine, by Jenna Weiner (2018)
- My Experience as a Transgender Woman in the Ultimate Community - Sky'd Magazine, by Ashleigh Buch (2018)
- Transgender player found immediate acceptance in ultimate – Out Sports, by Jenna Weiner (2017)
- Gender is a Spectrum – Upwind Ultimate, by Lucy Brown (2017)
- Competitive Advantage and Transgender People – Sky’d Magazine, by Jenna Weiner (2017)
- A Trans Man’s Perspective – Sky’d Magazine, by Corey Alexander (2016)
- Ultimate Frisbee Players Become Ultimate Volunteers, Lending a Hand to Repeal HB2 – Human Rights Campaign, Maddie Majerus (2016)
- WFDF Establishes Transgender Athlete Policy – Ultiworld, by Charlie Eisenhood (2016)
Supporting LGBTQ2+ players in Ultimate
- VUL Celebrates Pride Month - Vancouver Ultimate League website (2018)
- Athlete Coming out stories – Out Sports (Ongoing)
- USA Ultimate Pledges Support to LGBT Community With Help From Five, Discraft – USA Ultimate (2016)
- Update: Ultimate Frisbee League reverses decision, will let players wear rainbows in N.C. – Out Sports, by Cyd Zeigler (2016)
- USAU Announces Rainbow Discs, Other Anti-HB2 Efforts For College Championships – Ultiworld, Steve Sullivan (2016)
- Luckily, my roommate wasn’t Ravi – Sky’d Magazine, Richard Dalton Jr (2012)
If you have a resource to be added to this page, please contact our Marketing Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.